Friday, April 27, 2012

Strawberries in SC

It is a beautiful thing! 

Growing up, I don't think we had strawberry fields around, at least I don't remember there being any.  BUT, we are making up for it in SC:)  Each year we go strawberry picking - typically more than once!

Our first trip to pick some yummy berries was this afternoon!

We went through our first gallon of strawberries in less than 48 hours!  So we have officially been out of strawberries since Tuesday afternoon.  We were NEEDING them badly by today!

Oh yes!  Got 'em!!!

But not without a few unexpected experiences. 

We'll start with the positive - S is an AWESOME strawberry picker!  She picked more than I did!  I brought a basket for her and another for C-man and then one for myself.  My thought was that I would fill mine up and they could pick and put them in their baskets and eat as many as they wanted since I was filling up the basket that we'd actually be taking home.  Well, S filled some up in C-man's for him, and then filled her own up as well!  I was shocked!  She did great!  She took care of her brother to make sure he never ran out and also filled up hers - that was more than I picked!  We ended up with TWO gallons:)

Now the not-so-positive -
1.  There were tractors all over the place and parked throughout the fields.  This was much more interesting to C than picking strawberries and it was hard to convince him otherwise! 
2.  C has a serious fear of bugs!  Don't know where he picked this up since the rest of us don't particularly like them, but we aren't afraid of them.  But, oh yes, my "all boy" does not like bugs AT.ALL!  And, obviously, where there are strawberries growing, there are bugs!  I don't think he picked one single strawberry as that would have put his way to close to where the bugs were hanging out!
3. The weather is impossible to predict! At 3:30pm we left our house and it was storming pretty good. I had looked at the radar about 3:15pm and it said the rain was still a ways off so I don't know where this rain was coming from. I figured I had at least an hour before I needed to start worrying. So, hoping that it was a very isolated storm, we head out. I had to go to the bank first and then we were on our way. We got to the fields, with the sun shining at 4:05pm. Thank goodness! Started picking right away and by 4:20pm it was thundering in the distance and the clouds were rolling in fast. This was about what I predicted from the radar and I knew there were some strong looking storms coming, so I told S to finish filling her basket up fast and we headed to the car. Having two kids we all know nothing is "fast"! We were pulling out onto the road at 4:40pm and by 4:45pm it was P.O.U.R.I.N.G!!! I couldn't hardly even see the road! I can only imagine the mess we would have been in had we still been in the fields! 

These should last us the next 4-5 days and we'll be back out there again - but now I'll know better what to expect!










No comments: