Friday, August 19, 2011

Caterpillars

Our neighbor loves everything caterpillars and butterflies! She has an absolutely amazing butterfly garden that is set up for practically every kind of butterfly there is! S has learned the love of butterflies and is captivated by the process of caterpillar to butterfly. We now have our very own caterpillar to watch as it turns into a chrysalis and then a beautiful butterfly. S named her caterpillar Emma although we won't know if it is a male or female until it becomes a butterfly. She absolutely adores her sweet Emma and while in caterpillar stage sits with her at the table, takes her out to hold her and even gave Emma I some of our bush leaves to munch on to make sure she grows good and has enough to eat. I say Emma I because little did we know that this particular kind of caterpillar can only eat parsley. So, we poisoned poor Emma I and she slept a lot, on her side, unmoving for an entire day before I realized what happened! OOPS!!! S doesn't know this since after she went to bed that night I went to our neighbors house and did a little switcharoo and got a new, healthy one! Whew! S would have been crushed if she'd known what happened. So, Emma II is doing just fine now! Although, S did comment on how much Emma must have loved her leaves from our bushes since she had eaten them all (I had dumped all extra leaves out when I made the switch) and wanted to give her more of them. Ummm... NO!!!



Funny sidenote, this picture is taken with a "sleeping" Emma I. HAHA!!



No comments: