Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Steps Toward a Big Girl Bed

Last night we took the front off of S's crib to start getting her ready for a real "big girl bed". I posted about this a few posts ago and, no, I'm still not ready. But, it needs to be done. After her nap yesterday, I went in to get her out of the crib and she hiked her foot up over the side and said "down". I told her she needed to wait for mommy. Then, curiosity got the better of me, and I asked her if she could get down by herself. YES! I didn't let her fall, but that was all I needed to see to know it was time.

M helped me get the front off of the crib last night before bed and also somehow convinced me that we didn't need to have a bed rail on the front either. In a moment of not-so-good judgement, I agreed and we left my little 20-month-old baby girl in her room with nothing to keep her from falling out. I was a nervous wreck and vowed that first thing in the morning or when she fell out during the night, whichever came first, the bed rail was going up along the front. Well, she made it all night without falling out. I went to put it on this morning but I could not figure it out. So, she has also napped with nothing to keep her from hitting the floor.

She did remarkably well over the last day with this new sleeping arrangement. While she was eating lunch she kept asking to go outside. I told her that it wasn't time to go outside and that she was going to have lunch and then it would be about time for a nap. Well, at that point, she would not eat anything else and just wanted to get out of her highchair. So, I put her down and continued to clean up the mess we'd made. Usually, she'll go play with some toys before her nap. However, I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what she was doing and the next thing I hear is her turn on her sound box that she uses when she sleeps, she said "night-night" and got into bed to take a nap. It was very early yet for a nap, but very cute!!

Tonight we will definitely be putting the bed rail on so that we can be more sure that she won't fall out during the night!!!

6 comments:

Double Dees in SC said...

Good for you! Transitions are hard at all stages, I think, but S seems to accept change pretty easily.

Amanda said...

I love that she went to get in her crib all by herself! And I can totally picture you listening out for a thud all night long. Gotta love the adventures of motherhood.

KLee said...

Yea big girl Stella!

W and Js mommy said...

BIG GIRL

Outnumbered! said...

I think this is so funny b/c RC is still in a crib and he's three. He doesn't even try to climb out yet. I think AN will be a different story though.

Shelby said...

i love it when stone puts himself to sleep! maybe Stella will continue to do that, now that she's such a BIG GIRL!!! :)