Monday, July 29, 2013

Waterfalls

I love hiking to see waterfalls and have been wanting to go all summer!

We are running out of summer days, so I took advantage of a 0% rain chance day and took the kids to do a bit of hiking:)

I packed the kids with way more snacks than I thought we would ever consume(every bit of it was gone by the time we got back!  Ha!!), grabbed my camera of course(S took her camera along as well and we were both snapping away at pictures) and off we went!

I had planned for 2 easy waterfall hikes.  The first was Whitewater Falls and it was super easy!  I had actually been there before, but didn't realize it until we pulled into the parking lot.  The path is asphalt and an easy walk up to see the falls.  We also went down the stairs to the next lookout landing before coming back!  The kids loved it and I was very proud that they practically ran up all of the stairs.








Next was Spoonauger Falls.  This was a bit harder of a hike for sure!  It is way off the beaten path, down a gravel road and not marked in any way at all!  I followed some internet directions and even when I pulled off the road where I thought I was suppose to be, I still wasn't 100% but was praying that we'd at least see something cool if it were not the right one so the kids wouldn't be disappointed!

We started in and it was not too bad at first and we followed alongside the river.  Then I really saw just how much rain we've gotten the last few months!  There were creeks where there use to be dry creek beds!  The first two we were able to jump from one rock to another and make it over without getting too wet.  The third however required us to take off our shoes and socks and wade across.  Oh wow!  Let me tell you, the kids did awesome but Momma was sweating it a little bit!  I could just see one of them slipping and being swept over the drop off we were crossing over!  But, we made it!!!  We then put our shoes back on and ventured on an extremely wet, slippery, narrow trail along the side of a cliff to get to the falls!  I kept reminding the kids to stay close, that wet rocks and roots are very slippery and that if they fell it was going to be a long way down:)  They did awesome!  We were able to see a beautiful waterfall and they are amazing hikers!  We will be going back to find more waterfalls for sure!










1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow! I'm impressed! At the undertaking and their hiking skills!