Thursday, April 26, 2007

No Smoking!!! And, a JD!!!


No More Smoking -

Officials in Keyport, New Jersey, have just upped the ante in the war against secondhand smoke. Smoking in your car in the presence of a child is now a ticketable offense. The Keyport Borough Council adopted an ordinance last Monday that creates a $75 fine for smoking in vehicles when anyone 17 or younger is present. The violation is only a secondary offense, so a cop can't pull you over just if s/he sees you smoking with kids in your car, but if a cop has another reason to pull you over and finds you with a lit cigarette and kids in your car, you will get the additional ticket.

Wow, how great would it be if Greenville would take this approach! However, since they apparently aren't even able to enforce a ban in a public area such as downtown, it is doubtful that they would be able to enforce it in personal autos.




On a lighter, more Bishop-ish note -

Other breaking news out of North Dakota: With prom season upon us, many teens (or their parents) are renting limos, stretch hummers, and other absurdly over-the-top modes of transportation to enhance their prom-going experience. Refreshingly, a more practical young man from North Dakota thought he'd do things a little different - he drove his date in a 1992 John Deere 8760 tractor!

I have to admit, I'm a bit envious!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ON the no smoking ban thing I think that people should get tickets for that and have to go to a rehab hospital and talk with lung cancer patients or something liek that---GROSS and as the daughter of a 25yr smoker(he has quit since) we will never know the effects it has on my health-
JOHN DEERE to the prom? I might have gotten a little mad..since the tires are dirty---but it sure would have made and entrance---

Annie said...

I love the smoking ban! People smoking while pregnant or around children is my BIGGEST pet-peeve!

I am glad bring didn't pick me up on a tractor for the prom b/c we may not be married today if he did.

Anonymous said...

One of my best friends and my cousin left their WEDDING in a great big John Deere. It actually was very cute because it was SO them!!! Rebecca D.

Annie said...

I just realize that I wrote bring instead of Brian. I guess you knew what I meant.

Caroline said...

HA! I had figured you weren't married to "bring" - but it did take me a second the first time I read it to understand:)