Saturday, November 12, 2016

Roper Mountain Science Center - Fall Festival

We joined the RMSC again this summer and with the membership come events that are free!  We were members several years ago, and I remember their fall festival being amazing!  I took the kids this morning and it is even better and bigger than it was the last time we were there!

We started off down on the farm!  The kids were able to touch a lot of animals, make and drink apple cider, plow behind a draft horse, watch demonstrations of woodturning and broom making and basketry and a cooper, they ground corn and fed the chickens, winnowed rice and went to school where they participated in a period school day!  We spent way more time on the farm than I thought we would and it was past lunchtime at this point!  Luckily, though, Chick-fil-A and Bucky's BBQ were set up and I was thankful I'd thought to put some cash in my pocket!

After we'd refueled, we went up the mountain to the science stations.  The kids visited Sharpie Marker Color Science, Foliage Forces Challenge and Solar Left Printing.

Although we still had not even been to the natural science building, I knew we still had a long day ahead of us and chose to wrap up our day at RMSC!

I don't think I've ever been to a program at Roper Mountain Science Center that did not exceed my expectations and this was no exception!!

Corn grinding

Plowing



Recitation at school




Making apple cider




No comments: